Wednesday 19 December 2007

Catch up

Meeting November 23rd

Had a meeting with my supervisor on November 23rd 2007 to discuss the functional spec and to review an early draft. It was a nice session that some new ideas where discussed. But after that I didn't manage to improve the spec by much, I ended up forgetting a lot of things... Basically, I didn't think what I have submitted was very good as the ideas where not very developed and I was not sure about some of them too. Probably the last time I'm using a Open Office to write something long, formatting is hard! Then you have to clean it up in MS Word... Pain!

My functional spec that was submitted.

Been busy with all the assignments and didn't get any time to work on the project otherwise, I have been collecting the data, but on days that I stay at home I generally don't leave it on. Actually, as part of Object-Oriented Patterns and Metrics assignment I got to implement the NMEA parser in Java... but this time I added the checksum to it, so affectively I can just covert that to Python. Also, I have few ideas on how to try to present this data, I'll need to meet with my supervisor after the exams.

Multimedia Information Retrieval report on GPS Location Extraction

As part of my Multimedia Information Retrieval continues assessment, I was able to write a proposal for a system for "Location Information Retrieval and Querying from GPS logs", which meant that I had an opportunity to research all the current work that was done in this field. Now, I know a good bit about it and can try to implement a Time-Based or Density-Based clustering algorithm.

The report it self is here.

It got slightly confusing in the end, there was so many papers I was referencing... and finding the right one which I have previously read became challenging in its self! Now I probably know how it feels to write a proper paper. And as my annoyance with Open Office/MS Word/Google Docs formating issues, I wrote up the report in LaTeX, well a wysiwyg editor called Lyx and I'm happy with the results - I know what I'll be using to write the user documentation and the technical manual when the time comes.

No comments: